It’s been a busy period for our general aviation airports. Here are highlights from some of the recent activities.
- The USDOT FAA awarded $2M in supplemental funding to Danielson Airport for runway, taxiway and main ramp resurfacing. The project will be funded 100% by FAA and was approved with design in 2019 and construction in 2020.
- On June 8, twenty organizations joined the CAA during the Danielson Airport Showcase to present aircraft displays and aviation education to 450+ visitors including skydiving demonstrations, introductory airplane rides for youth, scenic aerial tours, as well as glider aircraft demos and simulator flights. It was the airport’s 4th annual open house.
Groton New London Airport
- Groton New London Airport initiated its Art At the Airport program in partnership with the Southeastern Connecticut Cultural Coalition. The program highlights the region’s uniqueness, history, industry, culture and geography through visual arts in the Airport’s main terminal. Since 2017, eight exhibits have been shown. The latest is titled “Brought to Light: Ellis Ruley in Norwich” and is on loan from the Slater Memorial Museum until July 30th.
Hartford Brainard Airport
- A new dual auto gas and diesel fuel pump station was installed for airport operations and maintenance vehicle use at Hartford Brainard Airport. It replaced a system which was last updated approximately 30 years ago.
Waterbury Oxford Airport
- The D-Day Squadron non-profit group organized 15 DC-3s & C-47s, representing the American contingent of the Allied nations’ invasion of Europe with airborne troops, for the 75th anniversary commemoration of Daks over Normandy. For three days in May, Waterbury Oxford Airport hosted the many aircraft, crew, supporting personnel and veterans who originated the Squadron’s 2019 departure from the U.S. One of the historic aircraft is based year-round at the airport.
- Duncan Aviation relocated one of its Satellite Avionics Shops to a new larger hanger at Waterbury-Oxford Airport. The move was designed to bring avionics services closer to its many customers at the airport, especially as the FAA’s deadline of 1/1/2020 to get aircraft outfitted with Automatic Dependent Surveillance-Broadcast (ADS-B) approaches.
Want to learn more about our general aviation airports?
Visit the upcoming annual airport open houses:
- August 17 @ Groton New London Airport
- September 21 (rain date September 22) @ Windham A